Google for more . . .

Add to Technorati Favorites Technorati Profile

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

DANCING AND BONDING WITH YOUR CHILD

Music is a universal language. It imbeds our daily life, weaving its beauty and emotion through our thoughts, activities and memories. Very hardly would any one abhor it. Even if we don't mind about all the different forms and genre of music, there is music we all find to be powerful, comforting, poignant, joyful, etc. As a father, you have to make the most of every opportunity to bond with your child as you possibly can. The first, most essential physical aspect of bonding is touch. You need to pick your daughter up and carry her around. Let her fall asleep on your chest and dance.

However, if all you are doing is holding her, you are not making the most of this valued time with your baby. It may be difficult to believe, but the infant you are holding now will disappear in a wink. This is a great time to dance with someone who won't criticize your lack of rhythm. You have rhythm? Well, then, you're not using your talents to impact your baby in a positive way.

Play on some music and dance. If you're really good, sing to her while you dance. Don't rush it. Invest the time to make this dance the best dance you'll ever have - each and every time you do it. Music is a natural channel for emotion. We all bond on some level when we listen to music together. Dancing employs many of the critical bonding mechanisms you need to grow your bond with your child.

Dancing engages touch, sound (music), rhythm and emotion. And if you sing or talk to your baby while you dance, she is connecting to your voice. It really doesn't matter whether you can do cha-cha, swing or foxtrot. All that is important is that you expend the time to make a connection with your child.

A lot of people advocate talking, reading and massaging your baby while she is still in her mother's womb. As long as Mom is up to it, take her dancing while she's pregnant. Start early. Remember, a good, strong bond with Mom will do nothing but help your bond with your baby. Once your baby is born, keep this connection going. Lose yourself in a soulful dance with your precious baby.

In these frenzied times, we hardly take enough time to loosen up and experience the joys life has to offer. I believe all of us would like to give our children a less intense world. That won't happen unless we take the time to show them how to be happy in simple, basic ways. High-end electronic gadgets won't and can’t do this for us. We, as fathers, must step up on the floor and dance.

I suggest that you, as a father, dance with your daughter for the rest of your life and with your son as long as he will allow it. Bond with your children with the aid of music and dance. The music of Luther Vandross entitled “Dance with My Father” speaks so. The beautiful lyrics are here below:

DANCE WITH MY FATHER

Back when I was a child
Before life removed all the innocence
My father would lift me high
And dance with my mother and me and then

Spin me around till I fell asleep
Then up the stairs he would carry me
And I knew for sure I was loved

If I could get another chance
Another walk, another dance with him
I’d play a song that would never, ever end
How I’d love, love, love to dance with my father again

When I and my mother would disagree
To get my way I would run from her to him
He’d make me laugh just to comfort me, yeah, yeah
Then finally make me do just what my mama said

Later that night when I was asleep
He left a dollar under my sheet
Never dreamed that he would be gone from me

If I could steal one final glance
One final step, one final dance with him
I’d play a song that would never, ever end
‘Cause I’d love, love, love to dance with my father again

Sometimes I’d listen outside her door
And I’d hear her, mama cryin’ for him
I pray for her even more than me
I pray for her even more than me

I know I’m prayin’ for much too much
But could You send back the only man she loved
I know You don’t do it usually
But Lord, she’s dyin’ to dance with my father again
Every night I fall asleep
And this is all I ever dream


No comments: